Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Stephen you're the worst"

I'm not used to hearing this in a classroom setting, but this was exactly what my teacher told me (well, in Spanish). We were having our end of the month evaluation and my teacher went through the four students in my class and ranked who was the best and who was the worst. My first reaction was total shock. You know the feeling when you hear something and then immediately start sweating? Yeah, that was my reaction. But I held on and it was actually a very helpful discussion. He was direct and upfront with all four of us about our weaknesses and strengths. It was surprisingly refreshing after I got over the fact that I was at the bottom of the class. Rarely am I in the company of someone who feels so free to tell me exactly what they think while at the same time having some real insight into my weaknesses.

It also made me realize that my American culture is anchored pretty deep in my soul. I feel like you would NEVER hear that in America. I'm guessing that a teacher could probably be fired for it. But really, I knew I was the worst. I knew that the other three students were stronger speakers and knew more than me. I don't think we as Americans are good at being compared to others and found wonting.

Since moving here I've found out that Spain was ruled by Muslims for 800 years and Granada was the last stronghold before being defeated I think there are some pretty strong vestiges of the honor/shame culture here because of that long legacy. I think in America we have a winner/loser culture and everyone wants to be the winner.

I wonder if my desire to win will be seen as something honorable or shameful.

No comments:

Post a Comment