Monday, September 20, 2010

Things that tickle me about Spain (positive and negative)

When you are crossing the street (which should be done in a crosswalk and the spanish wait for the light--no jaywalking here), there is a little green figure that begins walking when you are allowed to walk. As the time gets closer to ending, instead of blinking to tell you that you need to hurry, this little green man starts running. It's hilarious. we'll try to get a video of it soon.

Kiwi ice cream. The same place that Michelle Obama took her daughter to in Granada (Los Italianos) is near where we live. Some are biased against this because it is such a popular (and touristy) spot. But, it is near where we live. And Wow! best ice cream we've ever had. It is made with fresh kiwi...subtle and delicioso!

Rolsers: This is actually a brand name. I call them the rolly thingy. We got ours at a discounted price at Ikea. I must say it works just as well as the cadillac version and it is, dare i say, much cuter. This rolly thingy is everywhere and totally necessary.

I love that often Granda has random festivals/events that just pop up out of nowhere. Last week we saw a huge flower offering ceremony. Not far from our house, people waited over 3 hours in line to offer flowers to Granada's virgin (Mary, of course). It was something to see. I think we have video of this also which Stephen will post at some point. Saturday night as we were returning from a friend's house, we caught a religious processional (actually, it blocked the entrance to our alley that leads to our house). There was a huge float full of candles and I think the virgin Mary again...it was preceded by priests (possibly) or very dressed up people and a cloud of incense surrounded it. People lined the already tiny street and we had a difficult time trying to get to our home with the Bob. I think King was actually scared. Yesterday, we walked down to our favorite fountains (I say fountains because there are 3 in a very small area) and there was some sort of biking/painting event going on. I have no idea still what was happening, but it was fun to watch the painters paint different views of the same general area. Then later that evening we were returning from church and in the same fountain area, we watched a group of young guys break-dancing. Stephen said, "you know, they maybe weren't the best break dancers, but I was entertained AND it was free." It seems like we are often entertained for free.

Baby friendly: Not only do Spaniards LOVE babies and often will walk up to King and just pick him up and talk to him (mainly telling him how cute he is over and over), but this is a baby-friendly city. People go out late at night....they start going out at maybe 9 or 10 (this includes weekdays). And when I say people, i'm not just talking about students and yuppies. We couldn't count the number of strollers and babies we see late at night. I wonder how these kids sleep, but it is nice to be able to go out and get a bite to eat at their normal time and not feel like we are disturbing other diners because we brought King with us. I say this...but actually we still have a difficult time staying out late with King because we like to put him to bed by 10. I know that sounds ridiculously late to most of you...but, it is early here! Anyway, in general, it is just night to be out walking and see other families walking too. There is a sort of camraderie feeling in it.

Buses in the rain: It rained last week and it happened to be a day that Stephen and I had to take a bus to another part of the city for an errand that needed to get done that day. We waited a long time for a bus in the rain. In fact, we bought an umbrella off one of the Senegalese street vendors because we would have been soaked due to our wait. We let the first bus pass b/c it was so full and we thought there is no way that we can get on that bus with the line of people that were getting on. When the second bus came 30 minutes later, we had already folded up our jogging stroller, ergoed King, and made ourselves as small as possible. We barely got on the bus. Little did i know that there was no barely about it. As we continued to make stops, somehow that bus managed to pick up more and more people. I honestly thought the bus could possibly tip over or something....there was nearly a fight on the bus too as there was little room but the driver just would sit at the stop until somehow we squeezed in further and more people got on. I was thankful to be able to get off the bus and learned that if I ever need to go somewhere in the rain, I will (if at all possible) avoid the bus.

Vaccinations: You don't go to the doctor to get vaccinations. You go to the health clinic. Unfortunately, the health clinic is part of the universal (government funded and run) health care system. I am not part of the system. So where do I go to get shots for my baby? Good question--for me, for the doctor, and for the country apparently. Thankfully, we have friends here who have been helping to translate and navigate this process. I just don't fit into any box for anyone. I think (between the doctor, clinic, my friends and myself) we have found a solution, hopefully in 2 weeks King will have the rest of his vaccinations.

Food: Unlike so may who move to another culture, I really haven't had to change much about my diet. The spanish diet is my ideal, particularly at night. I love eating bread with olive oil (unfiltered for best taste--thanks to Pepi), cheese, olives, salad, melon, figs (fresh), nuts, etc. And I love agua con gas--seltzer water.

Well, this is enough for now.

1 comment:

  1. The story of the crowded bus brings back memories of Italy - have you gotten pinched yet, Charity? Sounds like you're having wonderful experiences.

    ReplyDelete