After 9 long
months of studying the theory and taking driving classes with a certified
instructor, I now have my drivers license in Spain.
This is what
I had to do in order to get it.
First I had
to pay 375 euros (almost $500 back then because the euro was worth more).
This included an unlimited number of theory classes. Yes, that's
right, you actually have to go to class. I went to class 2 or 3 times a
week for 2.5 half months. Once I got up to speed on the new vocabulary, I
could then start taking the tests.
That's the
next step. There is a database of about 2,000 questions that you need to
know in order to pass the theory test. You find these questions in is a
series of tests that consist of 30 questions. So, basically, you
literally have to go to the "autoescuela", sit down at a computer,
and take hours and hours of tests. For the next 3 months, this is what I
did. I had to get to the point where I was getting 95% of the tests
right. And because the tests are constantly changing, the questions are
also constantly changing.
I then went
to try and take my theory test. I started to take the test and felt
pretty good about it. Then one of the instructors came by and told
me that I didn't bring the right papers and I couldn't take the test.
I then had
to wait another month. During that month I had to study more because the
questions were changing and I had to keep current with the tests.
I did
finally take the written exam and passed it.
The next
step was to take the driving classes. Even though I have been driving
almost 15 years, they encouraged me to take 16 classes (45 minutes each).
After taking these classes, I'm convinced that they are necessary.
The test is very hard and it is very easy to fail. It's not unusual
for you to meet Spaniards that have failed it so many times that they've given
up on ever passing it.
I finally
took my test on Monday and passed. I won't say it was a total waste of my
time because it has helped my Spanish, but it certainly tried my patience.
The thing I
feel the worst about is that for the people that failed the written/driving
test. They have to pay for more classes and fines for failing.
There are people that will literally spend over a $1,000 just for their
drivers license. And in some cities, the base price (without the fines
for failing) is $1,000.
I'm glad to
be done and I thank God I won't have to do that again.
Now it's
Charity's turn...
Stephen Jones! This post made my head hurt just reading it. Congrats to you for passing the test and getting lots of experience in the "autoescuela" :) I enjoy catching up with all that is going on in Spain! Take care
ReplyDelete